Supporting Cast Connector
Do you know an arts professional in the Capital region who is:
- In poor physical and/or mental health?
- Living alone, without family or friends?
- Living in a condition of neglect?
What can you do?
If you have friend or colleagues in circumstances such as these, you can connect them to the services and supports they may need to remain safe and independent in their home, by calling PAL Ottawa Supporting Cast.
You should first:
Obtain more information
- Express your concern to the person. Does your concern relate to his or her physical health, mental health, home safety, isolation, or lack of support?
- Record the person’s coordinates: name, address, phone number, and (where applicable) e-mail address.
- Find out if there are family members, a doctor, or a service that is already involved with the person.
- If the person is an immediate danger to him-or herself, or to others, call 9-1-1.
- Call the family member, the doctor, or the service that is already involved.
- Call the Ottawa Public Health Information Line. You may be referred directly to services that can help or to a Community Connect nurse.
If the situation does not appear to be an emergency, but requires support within the home, ask for permission to contact PAL Ottawa’s Supporting Cast for a discussion and assessment of the person’s needs.
Provide the person with information about Supporting Cast and the range of volunteer services available. You may offer to connect the person to the appropriate service, or to act as the designated volunteer.
What Supporting Cast can do:
- Offer a range of services to help arts professionals of any age throughout the Capital region
- Contact you or the client as soon as possible to discuss needs
How our team of volunteers can help:
- By conducting an assessment of needs over the phone, or in person
- By helping clients to remain in their home with the services and supports they require
- By follow-up and referral to appropriate community-based health and social services
- By helping to organize Supporting Cast or other client-preferred services
What we don’t do:
- Respond to emergencies – call 9-1-1
- Provide emergency transportation
- Act as personal support workers or caregivers. We can facilitate connections to the appropriate service(s)